Treatment for Vaginal Uterine Prolapse
At A Woman’s Healing Center, we have the knowledge, tools, skills, and experience to help you overcome or manage vaginal uterine prolapse.
What Is Vaginal Uterine Prolapse?
Prolapse is a disorder in which one or more of the pelvic organs drop from their normal position. This occurs when the muscles or tissues that support the pelvic organs become damaged or weak.
Uterine prolapse is when the uterus bulges in the vagina or outside of it. There are also two other common forms of prolapse:
- Dropped Bladder (cystocele)- when the bladder drops in the vagina or outside of it.
- Rectocele- when the rectum bulges into the vagina or outside of it.
Our Approach to Prolapse
We believe that women need to learn about all of their options after a careful examination to determine the type and severity of their prolapse.
Some of the treatment options include:
- Pessary: This is a small device that is inserted into your vagina to support the pelvic muscles. A pessary is usually the first treatment recommended for prolapse.
- Muscle Therapy: This is when your doctor gives you exercises for your pelvic floor muscles to strengthen them.
- Support Surgery: This surgery uses tissue from your own body or synthetic mesh to support your pelvic floor and repair damage. Support surgery can be done through the vagina or abdomen and is a good option for women who want to continue to be sexually active.
- Colpocleisis: This is another surgical treatment for prolapse that closes the vaginal opening. This option is best for women who no longer want to have vaginal intercourse.
Additionally, if you have Rectocele or bowel problems with prolapse, your doctor may give you recommendations for foods that are high in fiber.
If you would like to learn more about prolapse, you can find information here:
You can also make an appointment with us to come in and discuss pelvic organ prolapse and treatment.